Tools and Materials
- Reindeer and Santa/tree bottle-topper templates
- Double-sided tape
- Felt in a variety of colors (red, white, green, peach, brown, and black)
- Fabric glue
- Binder clips
Holiday Wine Toppers How-To
Print template and cut out template shapes. Tape templates to felt with double-sided tape; trace and cut shapes from felt. When cutting reindeer antlers, fold felt in half and glue together with fabric glue. Trace and cut the antler shapes, placing the dotted line on the fold.
For the Reindeer:
- Apply glue to bottom of ear shapes; pinch together and hold until set.
(Tip: Use a binder clip as a "clamp" to hold felt while glue dries.)
- Insert ears into vertical slits on head; insert antlers into horizontal slits. Apply glue on the back side of head piece to secure ears and antlers.
- Run a line of glue along edge of head shape where marked; attach to adjacent edge to create cone. Apply glue to bottom tip of cone and fold over to create nose.
- Run a line of glue along the edge of the neck shape where marked, and attach to opposite straight edge to create an open cone.
- To attach head to neck, line up top corner point of head with seam on neck. Apply glue, hold to set. Fold head down at a 90-degree angle; apply glue on top edge of neck, and press together.
- If desired, cut a 1/2-inch strip from felt and fringe both ends with scissors to make a scarf. Tie scarf around reindeer's neck.
For the Tree:
- Apply glue to one straight edge of each tree "tier;" attach to opposite straight edge to make cones.
- Stack the tiers, adhering each to the other with dabs of glue, in order; tier 2 goes on top of tier 1, tier 3 on top of tier 2.
For the Santa:
- Apply glue to one straight edge of the Santa hat shape; attach to opposite straight edge to make a cone.
- Glue hat brim around bottom of cone. Slide face piece through beard so the nose pokes through; secure in place on the backside with glue. Glue beard and face to the inside front of the hat (the side opposite the seam).
- Fold top of hat cone to the side and glue in place. Cut a small circle from white felt and glue to tip of hat.