Vanilla Cupcakes with Fruit Glaze
A white bean puree -- creamy, sweet, and mellow -- is an invisible addition to vanilla cupcakes.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 24
Photography: Scheimpflug Digital
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup fruit puree (from 9 ounces fruit, thawed and drained if using frozen; see note above)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in middle and lower thirds. Line 24 standard muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a food processor, combine beans, butter, and granulated sugar; process until smooth. With machine running, add eggs and egg whites and process until incorporated. Stir into flour mixture until well combined. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until puffed and set, about 17 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Transfer cupcakes to wire racks and let cool completely. (Store in an airtight container, up to 3 days.)
Whisk together confectioners' sugar and fruit puree until smooth. Dip top of each cupcake into glaze, letting excess drip off. Let glaze set, about 15 minutes, before serving.