Brown-Butter Nut Mix with Rosemary and Thyme
Boost a mixed-nut blend with herbs and butter for a savory complement to pre-dinner drinks. The recipe comes from TV chef Thomas Joseph.
- 10 cups mixed nuts such as pecans, cashews, whole skin-on almonds, Marcona almonds, and peanuts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves only
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until brown and fragrant, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until melted. Continue cooking until butter becomes fragrant and golden brown, taking care not to burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together sugar, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and rosemary; mix in brown butter. Add nuts and toss to combine. Return nuts to baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until nuts are semidry, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, December 2011