Baked Eggs in Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), stemmed, seeded, and diced small
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 ounces baby spinach (2 1/2 cups)
- Red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Stir in spinach and pinch of red-pepper flakes, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer sauce to four 14-ounce gratin dishes or a 2-quart shallow baking dish. With the back of a large spoon, make 4 wells in sauce and crack 2 eggs into each. Bake until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 25 minutes, rotating dishes halfway through. To serve, top with goat cheese and cilantro.
SourceEveryday Food, January/February 2012