Try something new and tasty with yogurt, ice cream, pound cake, or oatmeal.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 cups
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- 4 pounds apples, such as McIntosh, Gala, and Braeburn
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons dark-brown sugar (optional)
Peel, core, and slice apples.
In a large pot, bring apples, lemon juice, spices, and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are very soft and falling apart, 25 to 30 minutes.
Mash with a potato masher or pulse in a food processor until smooth with small chunks remaining. (Add sugar, if using.)
Let cool, then transfer applesauce to airtight containers.