Try something new alongside roast pork or chicken, or with yogurt, ice cream, pound cake, or oatmeal.
- 2 pounds apples, such as McIntosh, Gala, and Braeburn
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons dark-brown sugar (optional)
Peel, core, and slice apples.
In a large pot, bring apples, lemon juice, pears, ginger, and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are very soft and falling apart, 25 to 30 minutes.
Mash with a potato masher or pulse in a food processor until smooth with small chunks remaining. (Add sugar, if using.)
Let cool, then transfer applesauce to airtight containers.
SourceEveryday Food, January/February 2012