Glitter is artist Kari Tarr's favorite medium; here, she shares a shimmering ornament craft for your holiday tree.
Tools and Materials
- Round glass or shatterproof ornament
- 1/4-inch masking tape
- Glittering glue or white glue
- Fine art paintbrushes
- Sealing spray
Glittered Ornament How-To
- Begin by masking off desired area with 1/4-inch masking tape. We divided our ornament into four quarters.
- With a fine art paintbrush, apply glue to exposed areas and cover with glitter of desired colors. Here, we glittered each quarter with a different color in either warm or cool tones.
- Remove tape and allow glue to dry. (Tip: Do not let glue dry completely with tape still on the ball. Removing the tape this late in the process could pull away some of the glitter.)
- Use 1/4-inch masking tape to mask off edges of unglittered areas, applying tape directly on top of glitter.
- Apply glue with brush and glitter as in step 2. We glittered our stripes in a contrasting color to the warm and cool palettes.
- Remove tape and set ornament aside to dry completely.
- To seal and permanently affix glitter, spray with sealing spray.
Glitter kit and glitter glue available from Martha Stewart Crafts. Triple-thick crystal clear enamel spray available from The Home Depot. All other tools and materials available from your local crafts or art-supply store.
Kari's glittered crafts are available for purchase at her Etsy shop, TheGlitteredSquirrel.