Vanilla Chia Pudding
Chia seeds are available at health-food stores and online. They're rich in omega-3s, fiber, and antioxidants.
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped, pod reserved
- 1 cup (5 ounces) cashews, soaked in filtered water for 2 hours to overnight
- 4 cups filtered water
- 7 Medjool dates (5 1/2 ounces), pitted
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, such as Artisana
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups mixed raspberries and blueberries
- 3/4 cup maple syrup, for drizzling
Place chia seeds and vanilla pod in a medium mixing bowl, and set aside.
Drain cashews, and rinse well. Add cashews, filtered water, the dates, salt, cinnamon, coconut butter, vanilla extract, and vanilla seeds to a blender. Blend on high speed for 2 minutes, and pour into bowl with chia seeds and vanilla pod; whisk well. Let mixture stand for 10 to 15 minutes, whisking every few minutes to prevent chia seeds from clumping (pudding will thicken quickly). Refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.
Discard vanilla pod. Whisk pudding. Divide pudding among 8 bowls. Top each with berries, and drizzle with maple syrup.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2012