Once on hand, this homemade mixture is great for adding flavor to dressings and lentil soups.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1/3 cup
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed in garlic press
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon)
- Large pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Warm a skillet over a medium flame. Add cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds. Toast, shaking pan, until seeds are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Grind in a spice grinder until fine.
Place ground spices in a bowl, and add cayenne, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Stir in olive oil until smooth.