Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Greens
Keep it simple: A head of cauliflower whirled in a blender with collard greens becomes a virtuous soup, ready in 20 minutes. The cauliflower's texture makes this dairy-free soup creamy.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 8 cups
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 3 pounds), florets and stems cut into 1-inch pieces (8 to 9 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 5 large kale or collard leaves, or a combination, tough ends removed and leaves roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook onion, covered, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and a pinch of salt, and cook for 3 minutes more. Add cauliflower, and pour in filtered water until it reaches just below the top of the cauliflower.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons dill. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until cauliflower is just tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in greens, and simmer for 3 minutes.
Let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons dill. Puree soup in batches in a blender until very smooth, adding more water (about 1/2 cup) if it's too thick. Return to pot, and reheat. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with dill, black pepper, a drizzle of oil, and pinch of sea salt.