Lacinato Kale Salad with Roasted Squash
This salad is great for entertaining, because you dress it ahead of time.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Makes 12 cups
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- 1 pound peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 1 1/2 bunches Lacinato kale, washed and patted dry
- 4 ounces aged goat cheese, shaved or crumbled
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts (1 1/2 ounces), roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper; toss well. Roast until golden brown, tossing halfway through, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, place shallots on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until brown, tossing halfway through, about 30 minutes.
In a large salad bowl, combine lemon juice, flaxseed oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Cut 2 inches off bottom of kale, and slice leaves crosswise into 3/4-inch ribbons (you should have 12 cups loosely packed kale); add to salad bowl. Toss kale with dressing, squeezing until leaves are soft. Let stand for at least 30 minutes.
Add vegetables, cheese, and nuts to kale. Toss well to combine.