Tuna Nicoise Salad Jars
Make salad your next on-the-run meal by using a mason jar as a travel container. This recipe from Michael Cavaniola, owner of Cavaniola's Gourmet Cheese Shop, shows you how to pack and go.
- 1 cup dried gigante beans
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) jar Spanish oil-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed and dried
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2 (3-ounce) links Spanish chorizo, sliced on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Place beans in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover by at least 2 inches; let stand overnight.
Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; let simmer 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until chilled.
Meanwhile, place bell peppers directly over the flame of a gas-stove burner on high heat or on a grill. Roast peppers, turning with tongs, until blackened all over. (Alternatively, broil peppers on a baking sheet, turning, until skin has charred.) Transfer peppers to a large bowl and cover immediately with plastic wrap. Set aside to let steam, about 15 minutes.
Peel peppers; discard skins. Remove stems, seeds and ribs, and discard. Slice peppers into 1-inch-thick strips. Add to a bowl with beans. Add onion, olive oil, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Cover and transfer to refrigerator; let marinate overnight.
In a medium bowl, mix together tuna, chives, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine; set aside.
Divide tuna mixture evenly between three 1-pint glass jars. In each, add a layer of spinach leaves, followed by a layer of cherry tomatoes, a second layer of spinach, a layer of bean mixture, and a third layer of spinach. Place two pieces of lemon on top. Arrange egg and chorizo in a decorative fashion around lemon. Serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show