Bulgur with Pearl Onions and Almonds
Almonds, lemon zest, oregano, and pearl onions add vibrancy to nutty and hearty bulgur in this delicious side dish.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2011
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add pearl onions and cook, stirring, until golden in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add bulgur and stir to combine. Add water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in almonds, oregano, lemon zest, and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.