Apple Fritter Rings
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus 2 cups for frying
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith, cored, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. In another medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, 4 teaspoons oil, and eggs. Stir in flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a large, heavy, high-sided skillet, heat 2 cups oil until it registers 375 degrees on a deep-fat or candy thermometer. (The oil should bubble rapidly when a drop of batter is added.) In batches, coat apples in batter and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes per batch, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Toss apples in cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.