Green Beans with Parsnips and Pickled Red Onions
Serve this festive side dish with Pork Roast with Apples and Gremolata as part of your holiday dinner.
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2011
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips (4 medium), peeled, cut into 1/2-by-2-inch sticks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans and parsnips until crisp-tender, 8 minutes. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add red onion and cook until translucent, 3 minutes. Slowly add vinegar and mustard, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Pour pickled onions and dressing over vegetables and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.