Slow-Cooker Garlic Chicken with Couscous
This time of year is filled with fancy fare, so we all need a change of pace during the week. This simple chicken dinner is tasty, and extremely gratifying.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, December 2011
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 6 to 8 pieces and patted dry
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup couscous
- Chopped fresh parsley, for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. In batches, cook chicken, skin side down, until skin is golden brown, about 4 minutes.
Combine onion, garlic, and thyme in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Top with chicken, skin side up, in a tight layer. In a small bowl, whisk together wine and flour until smooth and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until chicken is tender, about 3 1/2 hours (or 7 hours on low). Cook couscous according to package instructions. Serve chicken and sauce over couscous, sprinkled with parsley.