Chicken and Lentil Burger
Although they have a humble reputation, lentils are packed with protein and fiber. Serve them in burger form and they'll go fast.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 3/4 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 can (15 ounces) lentils, rinsed and drained, or 2 cups cooked lentils
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- Toppings (optional), such as lettuce, tomato, and ketchup
Other Kid-Friendly Ways to Enjoy Lentils
Puree with chickpeas for a sandwich spread.
Layer in a cheese quesadilla.
Stir into cooked rice along with sauteed bell pepper and onion.
Toss with fusilli, feta cheese, and grape tomatoes.
Saute with crumbled sausage and diced potatoes.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until lightly golden, 7 minutes. Add cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and wipe out skillet with a paper towel. To bowl, add chicken, lentils, breadcrumbs, egg, cilantro, salt, and pepper. With your hands, mix until combined and form into 4 patties.
In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Add patties and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes, flipping once. Serve on muffins along with desired toppings.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2011