Spinach Pizza Rolls
These festive, easy appetizers will get the party started.
- Yield: Makes 16
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, December 2011
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. In a small bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. In another small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, flatten and gently stretch into a 3-inch round. Place 1 tablespoon spinach mixture in center of each and fold dough around filling to form balls. Place balls, seam side down, in baking dish. Brush tops with garlic oil and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and bake until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; serve with warm marinara sauce.