Bratwurst with Collards and Rice
Hearty greens and smoky sausages are brightened up with a hit of vinegar for a flavor-rich yet budget-friendly dish.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, December 2011
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked bratwurst or kielbasa, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch collard greens, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves torn into large pieces (4 cups)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add bratwurst and cook, stirring often, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add collards, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, until collards are just tender, 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar and serve with rice.