Slow-Cooker Chicken Mole
Dark chocolate and spices add richness to the Mexican chile sauce called mole (MOH-lay). Simmer it in a slow cooker along with chicken thighs for a warming weeknight meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, December 2011
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12)
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
Season chicken thighs with salt and place in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. In a blender, puree tomatoes, onion, ancho and chipotle chiles, almonds, raisins, chocolate, garlic, oil, cumin, and cinnamon until smooth.
Add tomato mixture to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high until chicken is tender, 4 hours (or 8 hours on low). Serve chicken and sauce topped with cilantro.