Tangerine Beef Stir-Fry
Tangerine zest and juice add sweetness and bright citrus notes to this easy stir-fry.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, December 2011
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin, very thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed, 1 scallion thinly sliced, remaining cut crosswise into thirds
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger (from a 2-inch piece)
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 wide strips tangerine zest, plus 3 tablespoons tangerine juice (from 2 tangerines)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cooked long-grain white rice, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine beef, thinly sliced scallion, ginger, red-pepper flakes, tangerine zest, cornstarch, and salt; toss to coat. In a small bowl, combine tangerine juice, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and 2 tablespoons water.
Heat a large wok or skillet over high until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat wok. Add beef mixture and remaining scallions and cook, stirring constantly, until beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Add tangerine juice mixture; cook, stirring, until sauce is bubbling and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice.