Chicken and Black Bean Nachos
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 2 cups poached, shredded chicken
- 10 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- Thinly sliced jalapeno, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle position.
In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons safflower oil. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add black beans, cumin, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat.
On a sheet pan or oven-safe platter, layer one-third the tortilla chips and top with one third the black beans, chicken, cheese, and salsa. Repeat layering twice more.
Transfer to oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes, until cheese is melted throughout. Remove from oven, top with avocado, jalapeno, and sour cream, and serve immediately.