Fig and Pancetta Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 6 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces Black Mission figs, coarsely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- 12 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center position. Butter bottom and sides of a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, pancetta, and salt to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until pancetta begins to render fat and onions become translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock and figs to saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
Add orange zest and juice, orange liqueur, and sage to saucepan and stir to combine. Tear bread into large pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Pour contents of saucepan over bread along with eggs, and stir until well combined.
Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish, cover with foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until top is golden brown and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes more.