Butterfield Stageline Chili
- Yield: 4 quarts
Source: Mad Hungry
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 pounds beef brisket, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 4 Anaheim chilies (6 ounces), chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chili, minced (remove ribs and seeds for less heat, if desired)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Soda crackers, for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wide, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven. Season brisket with salt and pepper and brown in two batches and transfer to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pot along with pork, onions, chilies, and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until pork is no longer pink and most of the liquid has evaporated, 6-8 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, oregano, chili powder, and cumin and continue cooking, 2 more minutes.
In a blender, puree one can of tomatoes and stir into chili along with remaining tomatoes and chicken broth. Return brisket to pot.
Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is fork-tender, 3-3 1/2 hours.
Serve with sour cream and soda crackers.