Raw Kale Salad with Gouda, Pear, and Walnuts
The chives offer a mild onion flavor to this unconventional salad. Include the herb's blossoms for visual appeal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, September Fall 2008
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch Russian kale (about 1 1/4 pounds), tough stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 1/2 ounces goat's milk gouda, cut into 1/2-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 6 chives, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 Anjou pear, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced crosswise
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, tossing once during baking, 8 to 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add in kale, cheese, chives, walnuts, and pear. Toss to combine.