Carrot and Parsnip Puree
Celery root can be easily substituted for the parsnips in this recipe. Carrots are harder and take longer to cook than parsnips, so for even cooking, the carrots are cut slightly smaller.
For the Puree
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
For the Garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 chives
Blend butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients, except the chives, and 1/2 cup water; cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Transfer vegetables to a food processor or blender, and puree. Spoon into a serving dish, garnish with chives, and serve immediately with Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage.