Turn an ordinary photo frame into beautiful handmade gift with this easy and affordable craft.
Tools and Materials
- 11- by 14-inch wood frame
- Utility knife
- Birch bark tiles
- Ruled cutting mat
- "Liquid Nails" adhesive
- Metallic paint
- Paper mat to fit frame (optional)
- Slightly darker shade of paint for mat (optional)
Birch Bark Frame How-To
- With a utility knife, cut strips from birch bark that match the width of the frame.
- Secure birch bark strips to frame with adhesive. If bark begins to curl, secure using clamps.
- To meet strips at corners, align strip on a cutting mat along the 45-degree angle line. Cut an angle at the end of the strip.
- Tear small pieces of birch bark from unused tiles and glue them to frame to disguise seams between strips.
- Paint entire frame with metallic paint. Let dry.
- Optional: Paint a paper mat a slightly deeper shade than frame and use when framing photo or artwork.