Martha created this simple puttanesca recipe in response to a TV viewer's request for easy meals to prepare with household ingredients.
- Servings: 2
Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 3 anchovies, rinsed (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes with their juices
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt boiling water and return to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and anchovies, if desired, mashing with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and their juice, breaking up tomatoes with hands. Stir in capers, if desired, and olives. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add pasta to skillet and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine, and serve.