I never thought I'd be caught with a doily crossing my threshold, but I wanted a blizzard of them once I discovered how to take them from granny to glamorous with a simple coat of metallic glitter. Arranged runner-style on my dark dining-room table set with glass dishes, the intricately patterned pieces lost all trace of dowdiness.
Tools and Materials
- Assorted crocheted doilies
- Spray starch
- Kraft paper
- Spray adhesive
- Fine metallic glitter
- Hair spray (as sealer)
Doily Runner How-To
- Spray doilies with spray starch and press with an iron. Repeat several times, stiffening doilies.
- Set doilies on kraft paper and spray with adhesive.
- Transfer doilies to another piece of kraft paper. Spoon glitter in 1 color all over it, making sure entire surface is covered.
- Flip doilies over. Repeat steps 2 and 3 using fresh sheets of paper. Shake off excess.
- Repeat with remaining doilies in desired colors. Spray both sides of each doily with hair spray, and set aside to dry.
- Arrange doilies on table, beginning in middle with largest doily and alternating sizes and colors out to either end.
Fine glitter, 1 1/2 oz., in Yellow Gold, Smoky Quartz, Florentine Gold, and Sterling; by Martha Stewart Crafts, from michaels.com.