Make-ahead strategies bring a Southeast Asian menu together in time for a fun weeknight dinner party.
Two Days Ahead
Make and freeze the granita and clementine "cups."
One Day Ahead
- Make the shrimp paste. Slice the baguette.
- Marinate the chicken.
- Boil the noodles.
Night Of The Dinner
- Make the soup. Let the noodles stand at room temperature.
- Scrape the granita, and scoop into clementine cups; freeze until ready to eat.
- Assemble and broil the shrimp toasts. Serve them warm as they come out of the oven.
- Broil the chicken; let rest.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garnishes for the soup. Rewarm the soup over low heat if needed, and squeeze in the lemon juice. Toss the chicken with basil and lime.
Lemons and limes add a bright burst of flavor to this warming, spicy meal. Cooling clementine ices provide a clean finish.
Nothing goes to waste when making this dessert. The clementines' juice is frozen into a zesty granita and the hollowed-out skins are rolled in sugar and used as serving cups.