Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (26-ounce) boxes chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi, or 2 (28-ounce) cans whole plum tomatoes in their juices, chopped
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, bay leaf, oregano, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and continue cooking 5 minutes more.
Add tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 5 minutes or so to prevent burning. Season with salt, if desired. Remove bay leaf before serving.