Gingerbread Layer Cake with Creamy Mascarpone Frosting
Leveling the tops of the cakes helps them to stack neatly and makes a smooth surface for frosting. For easier trimming, refrigerate the cooled cake layers for about an hour before slicing off the tops with a long serrated knife.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups unsulfured molasses
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, whisked together
- Creamy Mascarpone Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment. Butter parchment and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
Combine boiling water and baking soda in a medium bowl. Sift flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and 3/4 teaspoon salt into a large bowl.
Beat butter with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy. Add brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in molasses, grated ginger, baking soda mixture, and flour mixture. Beat in eggs.
Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of each comes out with moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans set on wire racks for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks and let cool completely.
Trim top of each cake using a serrated knife to create a level surface. Transfer 1 cake to a platter. Spread 1 1/4 cups frosting over the top. Top with another cake. Spread 1 1/4 cups frosting over the top. Top with remaining cake. Spread a generous 1/2 cup frosting in a thin layer over top and sides of cake to create a crumb coat. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake using a mini offset spatula to make small swoops on top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.