Chicken with Basil and Lime
The lime-and-soy-marinated chicken is delicious added to the coconut-curry soup, but it can also be served on its own. (Double the recipe if you want each person to have a full serving of chicken.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon safflower or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- Coarse salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each), pounded to an even thickness (about 3/4 inch)
- 1 cup basil leaves
Stir together 1 tablespoon lime juice, oil, soy sauce, sugar, shallot, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in an 8-inch square baking dish. Add chicken; toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat broiler. Arrange chicken on top of shallot in dish. Broil 8 inches from heat source until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Flip chicken, arranging shallots around sides. Broil until chicken is cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes. Slice chicken crosswise. Reserve pan juices.
Transfer chicken and reserved pan juices to a bowl. Toss with basil and remaining tablespoon lime juice.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2011