The tassel embellishment is optional. To make it, see the how-to.
Tools and Materials
- 1/2 yard tartan wool fabric
- Sewing supplies
- Yarn (optional)
- Kilt pin (optional)
- Print pattern template. Cut out fabric.
- Fringe the cuff piece on 3 sides, carefully pulling strands from the wool’s weave to create fuzzy, frayed edges; leave 1 long edge intact.
- With right sides facing, sew perimeter of stocking with a 1/4- inch seam allowance, leaving top open. Trim seam allowance along heel and toe to prevent puckering.
- Fold cuff piece so fringed short sides overlap a bit more than 1 inch. Wrap it around to top of sewn stocking, and adjust overlap as needed so cuff width matches stocking width. Pin to secure. Sew around top edge of stocking with 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn right side out.
- Braid yarn for a hanging loop, if desired. Stitch loop inside stocking at side seam.
- Attach kilt pin where fringed cuff overlaps. Slide on tassel.
Wool tartan, in Red and Green;bandjfabrics.com. Gray wool Morlich tartan,osborneandlittle.com (to the trade only). Roving wool yarn, in Snowdrift, by Martha Stewart Crafts; joann.com. Skirt safety pin, mjtrim.com.