Creamed Swiss Chard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 bunches Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large pot, bring water to a boil over medium-high. Gradually add chard and cook until it is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
In pot, melt butter. Whisking constantly, add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisking constantly, slowly add milk. Cook, whisking along bottom of pot, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chard and stir until coated. Stir in nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.