Barley Salad with Squash And Broccoli
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2011
- 1 medium acorn squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (6 cups)
- 2 cups quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3/4-ounce piece Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss squash with 2 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper; arrange in a single layer. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss broccoli with 2 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Place squash on top rack and broccoli on bottom rack and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut squash slices in half.
Meanwhile, cook barley according to package instructions. Drain and let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice, and shallot; season with salt and pepper. Add squash, broccoli, barley, almonds, and raisins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with Parmesan.