Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
- 2 pounds red and yellow beets, scrubbed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 small Belgian endives, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch pieces, or 2 heads frisee, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss beets and carrots with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, tarragon, and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss endives with half the dressing, then transfer to a serving platter. Toss beets and carrots with remaining dressing and add to platter. Top with goat cheese and pecans before serving.