Apple-Brandy Brown Betty
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, November 2011
- 8 slices white sandwich bread, lightly toasted, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 pounds Granny Smith or Gala apples (about 4), peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss bread with butter until coated. In a large bowl, toss together apples, brown sugar, maple syrup, nutmeg, prunes, brandy, juice, and half the bread until combined. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish and top with remaining bread.
Cover with foil and bake until mixture is bubbling and apples are tender, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.