Brown-Sugar Buttermilk Pie
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
How to Crimp a Crust: Using a knuckle on one hand and the thumb and forefinger of the other, crimp the rim of the crust.
Make the crust: In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time); do not overmix. Form dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch pie plate, fold overhang under, and crimp edges. Prick dough all over with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper over dough and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until edge is light golden, about 15 minutes; remove parchment and weights.
Make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, eggs, and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, nutmeg, and cinnamon until combined. In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium, swirling pan occasionally, until golden brown and most of the foam has subsided, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately whisk into buttermilk mixture. Pour filling into pie shell and bake until set but still slightly wobbly in center, 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack, 2 hours, before serving.