Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
Shred the brussels sprouts and cook the pancetta, reserving the drippings, 1 day ahead. Refrigerate everything separately in airtight containers.
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced pancetta, diced small
- Extra-virgin olive oil, if needed
- 1 3/4 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded (10 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Set ... A food processor shreds sprouts fast; a knife gives the texture pictured.
Go ... No pancetta? No worries. Swap in bacon and still get lots of smoky savor.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook pancetta over medium, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings (if necessary, add enough oil to measure 1/4 cup). Add brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 10 minutes. Stir in rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in pancetta. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2011