Glazed Carrots with Thyme
Cooking carrots in a bit of water, butter, and sugar brings out their delicate flavor and coats them with a thin glaze. Instead of baby carrots, you can substitute medium carrots, cut into thin slices. Dill or parsley would work here as well.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, November 2011
- 3 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds baby carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large straight-sided skillet, bring 1 1/3 cups water, brown sugar, and butter to a boil over high. Add carrots and reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer until slightly tender, 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, gently tossing often, until carrots are tender and glazed, about 6 minutes. Stir in thyme and cook 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.