Filled with glow-in-the-dark bugs, slime, and granitelike walls,this creepy space is sure to cause a scare.
Tools and Materials
- 2 x 4 lumber
- Drill and screws
- Black craft paper
- Black lights
- Caged work-light fixtures
- Glow-in-the-dark bugs and paint
- Cable ties
- Make a series of archways the same height out of 2 x 4 lumber. (Ours measured 18 inches wide at the top and 6 feet tall.) Cut the vertical pieces at a 45-degree angle at the tops and bottoms to make a wide base.
- To keep archways standing, create a spine of scrap pieces of lumber across the tops of the arches. Use screws to secure.
- To make mineshaft walls, crumple large pieces of black craft paper, unfurl, and staple to the outer edges of the archways. Continue until there are no light leaks.
- Install caged fluorescent black lights with black cable ties in the interior of the mineshaft.
- Decorate with glow-in-the-dark bugs, slime, and splatters of paint to give the walls a granitelike appearance.
Black craft paper available from Pacon.com. Wood Lights available from Home Depot. Bugs fromOriental Trading. Glow-in-the-dark paint from Martha Stewart Crafts; available at Michaels.