Hawaiian-Style Short Ribs
This sweet and spicy dish is like an instant tropical vacation, especially when a slow cooker does all the work.
- 2 red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges, root ends left intact
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (about 6), cut in 3 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or other chili sauce
- 3 cups 1-inch-cubed pineapple (1 pound)
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Chopped scallion greens, for serving
Place onions, garlic, and ginger in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with short ribs in a tight layer. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until ribs are almost tender, 4 hours. Add pineapple and cook until pineapple is tender, 1 hour.
With a slotted spoon, transfer ribs, pineapple, onions, and ginger to a platter and tent with foil. With a ladle, skim fat from cooking liquid. Serve ribs and pineapple mixture with rice; drizzle with some cooking liquid and sprinkle with scallions.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2011