There are few things cozier than curling up with a bowl of hearty, home-style chicken chowder.
- 2 whole chicken breasts, bone-in, skin on
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons flour, preferably Wondra
- 1 small turnip, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 ounces rutabaga or parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped, for garnish
Simmer chicken breasts in broth for 20 minutes. Let stand off heat for 20 minutes. Let cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, and shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, diced carrot, and a pinch of salt, and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in reserved chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Add turnip, rutabaga or parsnip, and 2 1/2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat, and simmer until root vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes.
Stir in reserved chicken and the cream, and heat until warmed through, about 1 minute. Season with salt, and garnish with dill. Serve immediately with crackers on the side.