Cheddar Drop Biscuits
Sharp white cheddar and chives add extra flavor to these simple drop biscuits.
- Yield: Makes 16 biscuits
Source: Mad Hungry, Episode 1101
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
Preheat oven to 425 degrees with racks in upper and lower third positions. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper. Work butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or your fingers until butter is incorporated and pea-size lumps remain. Stir in cheddar, then buttermilk and chives, just until dough comes together.
Using two spoons, drop 1/4 cup quantities of dough onto prepared baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart.
Bake in oven until golden brown, 12-14 minutes, rotating baking sheets once.