Sausage Meat Sauce
Enjoy half of this sweet and spicy meat sauce tonight, and the rest later -- it will keep frozen up to 6 months.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 (6-inch) sprig rosemary
Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add sausages. Brown sausages, breaking them up into small pieces as they cook, just until sausages are cooked through, 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste, onion, carrot, and garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and rosemary and break up tomatoes into pieces with the side of a spoon or scissors. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and reduces slightly.
Cool meat sauce to room temperature, then transfer to freezer-safe containers with tight-fitting lids and freeze until ready to use, up to 6 months.