Chicken and Kale Casserole
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound large pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced medium
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bunches kale (1 1/2 pounds), tough stems and ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken (from 1/2 rotisserie chicken)
- 1 container (48 ounces) part-skim ricotta
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan, grated (2 1/4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is beginning to soften, 4 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to pot with pasta.
Stir in chicken, ricotta, lemon zest, and 1/2 cup Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; top with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until top is golden, 30 minutes.