Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) sugar pumpkin, trimmed, cleaned, and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons molasses (or maple, sorghum, or cane syrup)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or piece of parchment paper; set aside.
Place pumpkin wedges on baking sheet and transfer to oven; bake until fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
When pumpkin is cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh and transfer to a large bowl; discard skin. Add molasses, butter, orange zest and juice, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper.
Using a potato masher, heavy-duty whisk or handheld mixer, beat until smooth. Transfer to a warm serving bowl.