Source: Mad Hungry, March 2011
- 1/3 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 24 ounces Guinness
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- Potato bread buns, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in the lower third of the oven.
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Rub spice mixture all over pork.
Place pork, fat side up, in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Add Guinness and garlic cloves and bring liquid to a boil on stovetop over high heat.
Cover Dutch oven, transfer to oven, and braise, basting a few times, until pork is fork tender, 3-4 hours. Shred pork with two forks and stir to incorporate with braising liquid.