Sushi Baby Costume
Serve up baby as adorable nigiri sushi for Halloween with this easy-to-make costume from crafter Carolyn Caffelle.
Tools and Materials
- Tuna or shrimp template
- Felt (orange or dark pink, cream, black, green, neon green, and light pink)
- Fusible adhesive
- Baby bodysuit or shirt
- Card stock
- Parchment paper
- Embroidery floss (pink and light green)
- Hand sewing needles
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks (optional)
Sushi Baby Costume How-To
- Download, print, and cut out tuna or shrimp template.
- With a hot iron, back desired 9-inch by 12-inch piece of felt (dark pink for tuna or orange for shrimp) with fusible adhesive, following the package directions. Trace template onto paper side of adhesive-backed felt.
- With scissors, cut out design, remove paper backing from each cut piece, and position on a 9-inch by 12-inch, fusible-adhesive-backed piece of cream-colored felt.
- Using a hot iron, affix sushi pieces to cream colored felt. To prevent the iron from melting or scorching the felt, place a piece of parchment paper over your design before pressing.
- Once adhered, use scissors to cut around your design, creating a felt shrimp or tuna applique.
- Remove paper backing from applique and again, using a hot iron and piece of parchment paper, affix sushi to bodysuit. (Tip: The double thickness of the felt applique requires more time and pressure to adequately adhere to the body suit. Hold the iron in one place to tack the applique to the bodysuit and then turn the bodysuit over and iron from the other side to affix completely.)
- For the nori "belt," cut a 1 1/2-inch strip of fusible-adhesive-backed black felt that is long enough to fit across the front of the bodysuit seam to seam. Affix to costume with hot iron.
- For the "grass," fold a 9-inch by 12-inch piece of green felt lengthwise, cut large zigzags across the felt and fringe each zigzag by cutting halfway down every 1/4 of an inch. Cut felt along fold and attach grass to bodysuit along the sides using 1/2-inch wide strips of fusible adhesive.
- For the "wasabi," cut a large oval of neon green felt and using a needle threaded with light green embroidery floss, sew a running stitch all along the cut edge.
- Once completely stitched, pull on one end of embroidery floss to cinch felt into a small purse and tie off. Stitch (or attach with hot glue) to bodysuit.
- For "ginger," cut a 2-inch strip of light pink felt and fold and twist until shape resembles ginger. Stitch folds together with a needle threaded with pink embroidery floss and then stitch (or attach with hot glue) to bodysuit.